Are you considering PVC board as a substrate for your cabinetry and furniture? This material has its pros and cons, so it’s important to understand what you are getting before you make a decision. In this blog, we will discuss the advantages and disadvantages of PVC boards from the perspective of a PVC sheets manufacturer. We’ll help you decide if PVC board is the best choice for your cabinetry and furniture-making project. Let’s get started!
PVC sheets, otherwise known as polyvinyl chloride sheets, are made by taking off-cuts of PVC and compressing them under heat until they bind together. PVC is a type of thermoplastic polymer that is often used for pipes, window frames, or pipe fittings. It can also be used to make furnishings since it is lightweight and durable. PVC sheets are most often used in cabinetry and furniture manufacturing, as they offer high-impact strength and resistance to moisture and chemical damage.
Pros of Using PVC Board as Substrate
PVC board is an ideal substrate for a variety of applications because:
- PVC Board is a lightweight yet durable substrate that can be used for both interior and exterior applications. It is easy to install and maintain, making it a great choice for DIY projects.
- PVC board is extremely weatherproof, meaning it will not warp or rot when exposed to the elements. It is also moisture resistant, making it suitable for wet areas such as kitchens and bathrooms.
- PVC board is a very cost-effective option compared to other materials such as wood or metal. It is also readily available from most PVC Sheets manufacturers, meaning it can be easily sourced at competitive prices.
- PVC board comes in a wide variety of colors and textures, allowing for greater customization and personalization in any project. This makes it ideal for both commercial and residential use.
- It is also non-toxic and recyclable, making it an environmentally friendly option.
Cons of Using PVC Board as Substrate
The cons of using PVC board as a substrate include:
- Difficult to saw and drill: PVC boards are very hard to cut and shape, which can be incredibly time-consuming if precise shapes and sizes need to be achieved. Additionally, the tools used for cutting must be of high quality, or else they may cause damage to the material.
- Low thermal insulation: PVC boards are not the best choice for insulation because they do not retain heat very well and can become extremely cold in cold climates. This is why it is usually recommended to install an additional layer of insulation when installing a PVC board as a substrate.
- Poor UV resistance and prone to shrinkage over time: PVC boards are not very resistant to UV rays, meaning they can become discolored and distorted over time. Additionally, they tend to shrink when exposed to extreme temperatures, making them unsuitable for certain applications.
- Not suitable for heavy load-bearing applications: PVC board is lightweight by nature and therefore may not be strong enough to support heavier objects such as furniture or machinery.
Safety Considerations When Working with PVC Sheets
Safety is of paramount importance when working with PVC Sheets, as the material and its chemicals can be dangerous if not handled properly. To ensure safety and avoid any potential risks, it is important to follow certain guidelines when handling PVC Sheets.
First and foremost, always wear appropriate protective gear such as gloves, goggles, and a dust mask when handling PVC Sheets. This will protect you from any potentially hazardous chemicals contained in the material and ensure that you do not accidentally cut yourself on sharp edges or surfaces.
In conclusion, PVC Sheets are a great choice of material for many projects due to the advantages they offer such as durability, waterproofing, and versatility. However, it is important to be aware of their disadvantages too, so that you can make an informed decision when choosing this material.
For the best quality PVC Sheets that offer superior performance, trust no other than CenturyPly. With over 30 years of experience in this industry, they are sure to provide you with top-notch products at competitive prices. Their team of experts is dedicated to providing solutions that are tailored to meet your individual needs, while their quality assurance processes ensure that only the best materials reach you. So check out CenturyPly today and get your PVC Sheets today!